You will require this registration if you operate a construction business and you intend to hire employees to perform building and construction work. The scheme is designed to provide portable long service leave for workers in the building and construction industry in NSW.
This scheme is compulsory for all employers in the building and construction industry and requires you to notify the Agency of any staff changes. A levy is paid by the owners of the building or construction project you are working on. This levy is then paid into a fund administered by the Agency, and from this fund, long service payments are made to building and construction workers. You do not have to register contractors, self-employed workers or workers who are already registered. This scheme does not apply to government, council and office workers such as managers, clerical workers or engineers in the building and construction industry. The types of building and construction work that incur this levy include:
- civil construction (e.g. roads and bridges and airfields)
- buildings and residential dwellings
- fuel, gas and water storage facilities and fixed distribution infrastructure
- sewage drainage and treatment systems
- telecommunications and electrical distribution infrastructure.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.