You will require a motor dealers licence if you intend to conduct a business dealing in motor vehicles as a retailer or on a wholesale basis. You will require a motor vehicle recycler's licence if you intend to conduct one or more of the following businesses:
- Buying or obtaining motor vehicles or parts or accessories of motor vehicles and demolishing or dismantling the motor vehicles or parts or accessories
- Buying and selling major body and mechanical components of motor vehicles, major car accessories and parts or accessories of motor vehicles.
A motor vehicle is a vehicle of the following kind that is built to be propelled by a motor that forms part of the vehicle, and includes a trailer:
- Any description of vehicle on wheels, other than a vehicle used on a railway or tramway or an aircraft
- Any description of tracked vehicle, or any description of vehicle that moves on revolving runners inside endless tracks, that is not used exclusively on a railway or tramway.
The following types of vehicles are exempted from the Act and a licence is not required:
- A crane, hoist or conveyor
- An excavator, road grader, road roller, bulldozer or forklift truck or other machinery, that is not constructed on a chassis of a type normally used in the construction of a truck
- A motor vehicle that is constructed or adapted for road construction or maintenance (including cleaning, sweeping or watering)
- A vehicle that is not acquired for use principally for the transport of passengers or goods on public roads (other than a trailer or towable recreation vehicle)
- A vehicle that is incapable of being registered by Roads and Maritime Services under the Road Transport Act 2013 (other than a motorcycle that is an unregistrable new motor cycle, or a defective registrable vehicle within the meaning of the Road Transport Act 2013).
Please note that an unregistrable new motor cycle is a motor cycle (not being a second-hand motor cycle) that is of a design that makes it incapable of being registered in NSW.
To apply, complete the Application for a Licence form. Other forms and related documents are available on the Fair Trading website.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.