Access Permits - New South Wales


You will need an access permit if you intend to access road networks with a heavy vehicle that does not comply with mass or dimension requirements. A heavy vehicle has a gross vehicle mass (GVM) or aggregate trailer mass (ATV) of more than 4.5 tonnes.

There are four classes of heavy vehicles that need an access permit. The following list shows the access permits available for each class of heavy vehicle:

  • Class 1 heavy vehicles - special purpose vehicle, agricultural vehicle and oversize overmass vehicle permits.
  • Class 2 heavy vehicles - B-double, road train, performance-based standard vehicle, and controlled access bus permits.
  • Class 3 heavy vehicles - tow truck and class 3 miscellaneous vehicle permits
  • Higher mass limit heavy vehicle - higher mass limit permits.

Your permit may apply to one or more heavy vehicles.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for an access permit you must prove that your intended activities do not pose a risk to public safety.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Up to 3 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees are listed on the attached document.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All NHVR Portal (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Heavy Vehicle National Law (NSW) New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Heavy Vehicle (General) National Regulation (NSW) New South Wales

Heavy Vehicle (Mass, Dimension and Loading) National Regulation (NSW) New South Wales

Application process


The attached documents provide details on each type of access permits (e.g. jurisdictional requirements).

Additional information

The relevant road managers must also consent to allow your vehicle to travel on their roads.

Administering agency

National Heavy Vehicle Regulator

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

General Enquiries

National Heavy Vehicle Regulator

Mailing address: PO Box 492
Fortitude Valley
Queensland 4006
Phone: 1300 696 487
Fax: 07 3309 8777
Website: National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (Opens in new window)