You will require this approval if you are going to discharge commercial, trade or industrial waste directly or indirectly into a public sewer.
This type of waste is referred to as liquid trade waste and includes waste produced by the following types of businesses:
- business / commercial premises (such as a beautician, florist, hairdresser, hotel, motel, restaurant, butcher, service station, supermarket or dentist)
- community / public premises (such as a craft club, school, college, university, hospital or nursing home)
- industrial premises
- trade activities (such as a mobile carpet cleaner)
- commercial activities carried out in a residential location
- commercial saleyards, racecourses, stables and kennels
- any wastewater transported by vehicle or drawn from ships or boats (including septic effluent).
The disposal of trade waste is regulated by different authorities in different areas of NSW, for instance:
- The Sydney Water corporation is the regulating authority in areas where it operates the sewerage and drainage network;
- The Hunter Water corporation is the regulating authority in areas where it operates the sewerage and drainage network; and
- The relevant local Council is the regulating authority in areas where it operates the sewerage and drainage network.
Please consult the relevant Authority for more information.