You will require this licence if you intend to promote or organise an aquatic activity in navigable waters. This licence is intended to benefit the community by promoting the safe and responsible operation of vessels and protecting the safety and amenity of the community.
The types of organised activities you will need this licence for include:
- A race, competition or exhibition;
- Any other activity that restricts the availability of waters for normal use of the public;
- Aquatic fun days and festivals;
- Public entertainment events;
- Fireworks displays;
- Media launches;
- Filming; and
- Training events (e.g. surf lifesaving, marine rescue).
This licence does not apply to the use of surfboards, other small craft, swimming competitions or fishing competitions. It also does not apply to aquatic activities conducted in accordance with a hire and drive licence.
Navigable waters are waters that are capable of navigation and are open to or used by the public for navigation.
Please consult the Contact Officer in the first instance to determine if your proposed activity will require a licence.