Authority to Prescribe Certain Restricted Substances - New South Wales


You will need this authority if you want to prescribe the following restricted substances:

  • acitretin
  • clomiphene / clomifene
  • cyclofenil
  • dinoprost
  • dinoprostone
  • etretinate
  • follitropin beta
  • isotretinoin for oral use
  • luteinising hormone
  • tretinoin for oral use
  • urofollitrophin.

Veterinary practitioners do not need to have this authority to prescribe the above restricted substances.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You must be a medical practitioner registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) to be eligible for this authority.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

You do not need to pay any fees.

Act(s) name

Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Act 1966 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Regulation 2008 New South Wales

Application process


The processing time is dependent on all necessary information being available to the NSW Ministry of Health.

Approval time

Approximately 10 business days

Administering agency

NSW Ministry of Health

Legal and Regulatory Services Branch

Pharmaceutical Regulatory Unit

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.