To keep one Companion class bird, you must be at least 16 years old or the parent or guardian of child under 16.
To keep more than one Companion or B1 class bird you must be at least 16 years old or the parent or guardian of child under 16.
To keep a B2 class bird you must:
- be at least 18 years old
- have held a Companion or Basic Bird Class 1 (B1) licence for at least 2 years
- birds kept under an advanced (B2) licence must be from the same group (species) as those you've kept under a Companion or B1 licence.
All bird keepers must comply with the Code of Practice for the Keeping and Trading of Birds.
For B1 and B2 birds you must:
- keep an electronic record book or paper record about your animal/s
- record when you buy your bird/s (including the supplier's details, your details and date of purchase), plus all births, deaths and disposals
- lodge records with the Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) in April each year.