Biodiversity Conservation Licence (Mammal Keeper) - New South Wales


You will require this licence if you intend to keep native mammals as pets. The only native mammal species you may keep under this licence are the spinifex hopping-mouse and the plains rat.

This licence allows you to keep more than one or more spinifex hopping-mouse or plains rat that has been bred in captivity as a pet. It also allows you to add another class of animal in addition to a mammal. For example, you may also keep a plains rat and another kind of native animal as a pet. Spinifex hopping-mice and plains rats covered by this licence have basic keeping requirements and are readily available in captivity from licensed animal keepers.

Please note that wild dingoes within national parks are protected. However, dingoes and dingo hybrids bred in captivity can be kept legally as pets in NSW. If you want to keep a dingo as a pet, contact your local government authority.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must be over the age of 16 years or be the parent or guardian of children under 16.


Two years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $63.00

Native Animal Keeper Licence: two years. Fees for 2022-23

Act(s) name

Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Biodiversity Conservation Regulation 2017 New South Wales

Application process


Applications can be emailed, posted or done online. If applications are completed online the applicants will receive a discount.


Payment can only be made by credit card, money order or cheque.

Approval time

Allow 21 working days

Additional information

You are not allowed to take native mammals from the wild or release them to the wild.

If you purchase an animal interstate, you must obtain a licence to transport animals interstate before you can legally bring it into NSW.

Administering agency

Department of Planning and Environment

Environment, Energy and Science Group

National Parks and Wildlife Service

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.