Bush Fire Safety Authority - New South Wales


You will need this authority if you intend to either:

  • subdivide bush fire prone land that could be used for residential or rural residential purposes (for example, building a house)
  • undertake development that is a Special Fire Purpose development of bush fire prone land (for example, building a school, child care centre, hotel, retirement villa).

Bush fire prone land is any section of land that has been designated as such by your local Council.

This authority permits you to undertake the above activities and will help to ensure that your development complies with the relevant standards. Please see the attached document for information on the planning standards.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact the agency for more information.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Planning for Bush Fire Protection (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Rural Fires Act 1997 New South Wales

Application process


The application process will vary depending on the type of development you are undertaking. Please contact the agency for more information.

Administering agency

Department of Communities and Justice

NSW Rural Fire Service

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.