Certificate to Use and Occupy Public Land to Conduct Temporary Coastal Protection Works - New South Wales


You will require this certificate if you intend to conduct temporary coastal protection works and you need to occupy public land to do so. Coastal protection works means activities or works that are designed to reduce the effects of coastal erosion. These include, but are not limited to, placing sand or sandbags.

This certificate gives you the time to identify more permanent solutions to coastal erosion.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this certificate you must demonstrate that:

  • you have taken all reasonable measures to avoid using the public land in question
  • reasonable public access to and through the coastal area will be maintained for the duration of the works
  • damage to vegetation and assets will be avoided where possible
  • measures have been taken to minimise risks and disruption to the public, public land and beaches as a consequence of the works.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


2 years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount
Apply Application All $110.00

Act(s) name

Coastal Management Act 2016 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

State Environmental Planning Policy (Coastal Management) 2018 New South Wales

Administering agency

Department of Planning, Industry and Environment

Office of Environment and Heritage

Regional Operations