Coastal Bar Crossing Licence - New South Wales


You will require this licence if you are the master of a vessel and intend to carry passengers across a coastal bar. This licence applies to Class 1 and Class 2 commercial vessels. Please see the attached national standards document for details on vessel classes.

A coastal bar is shallow area which can form at the point where rivers, creeks, lakes, or harbours meet the sea. Please see the attached application form for details of bar locations.

Only experienced drivers should operate a vessel in bar locations. Even in apparently calm conditions vessels can be swamped, damaged or wrecked on bars.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • submit the application form
  • provide proof of your identity
  • provide evidence of holding a valid Certificate of Competency
  • provide evidence that you have completed at least 10 crossings both inward and outwards of the port for which you require this licence
  • pay the required fee.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $133.00

Further fees may apply. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Boating Handbook - PDF (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Marine Safety Act 1998 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Marine Safety Regulation 2016 New South Wales

Administering agency

Transport for NSW

Roads and Maritime Services

NSW Maritime Division

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Domestic Commercial Vessel Safety

NSW Maritime Division

Roads and Maritime Services

Transport for NSW

New South Wales
Mailing address: Locked Bag 5100
New South Wales 1450
Phone: 02 9563 8400