You will require a licence if you intend to undertake commercial fishing in New South Wales waters. NSW waters include inland, estuaries and offshore waters.
If you intend to start a commercial fishing business, you will need to purchase existing shares and endorsements to undertake certain fishing activities. Alternatively, you can become a nominated person who is authorised to fish on behalf of an existing commercial fishing business. Please be aware that no new shares and endorsements will be issued in NSW.
There are five different types of fishing businesses in the NSW commercial fishing industry. These include:
- Abalone fishing businesses;
- Lobster fishing businesses;
- Sea urchin and turban shell fishing businesses;
- Inland fishing businesses; and
- Share management fishery fishing business (which may also contain southern fish trawl restricted fishery endorsements).
Please be aware that your fishing boat will also need to be licensed.
Please be aware that each type of fishing activity is governed by separate rules and regulations. It is advised that you consult the Contact Officer and refer to the regulations in the first instance of the application process.