** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Confined Space Entry Permit - New South Wales


You will need to issue this permit if you are a person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) and a worker at your workplace intends to enter a confined space.

Confined spaces are commonly found in vats, tanks, pits, pipes, ducts, flues, chimneys, silos, containers, pressure vessels, underground sewers, wet or dry wells, shafts, trenches, tunnels, or other similar enclosed or partially enclosed structures.

Employers must give an employee an entry permit written by a competent person before they enter a confined space.

A confined space includes any enclosed or partially enclosed space that:

  • is not designed or intended primarily to be occupied by a person
  • is, or is designed or intended to be, at normal atmospheric pressure while a person is in the space
  • is or is likely to be a risk because of the atmosphere, contaminants or engulfment.

Service type

Regulatory Obligation

An obligation defined in law. A business must comply with relevant services.

Eligibility requirements

You must be a competent person to be eligible for this permit.

A person is considered to be a competent person if they have acquired through training, qualification or experience the knowledge and relevant technical skills to carry out the task.


Administering agency

Department of Customer Service

SafeWork NSW

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.