Confined Spaces Entry Permit - New South Wales


You may be required to issue this permit if you intend to conduct business or undertaking at a workplace a worker may enter a confined spaces. It is a general requirement that before employees enters a confined space, employers must give them an entry permit written by a competent person.

A confined space is an enclosed or partially enclosed space that is not designed or intended primarily to be occupied by a person and could pose a risk to health and safety as a result of:

  • an atmosphere that does not have a safe oxygen level contaminants, including airborne gases, vapours and dusts, that may cause injury in the event of fire or explosion
  • harmful concentrations of any airborne contaminants
  • engulfment or an explosion.

Confined spaces are commonly found in vats, tanks, pits, pipes, ducts, flues, chimneys, silos, containers, pressure vessels, underground sewers, wet or dry wells, shafts, trenches, tunnels, or other similar enclosed or partially enclosed structures.

The permit applies to one space only, but it allows one or more workers multiple entries.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

In order to manage risk, you have a duty to:

  • manage health and safety risks associated with a confined space, including risks when entering, working in, on or near a confined space, as well as the risk of inadvertent entry
  • ensuring as far as is reasonably practicable that a worker does not enter a confined space until all the duties in relation to the confined space have been complied with, for example entry permit requirements
  • establishing first aid and rescue procedures to be followed in the event of an emergency in the confined space.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Act(s) name

Work Health and Safety Act 2011 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Work Health and Safety Regulation 2017 New South Wales

Additional information

Before someone enters a confined space, you must give them an entry permit (written by a competent person) that includes:

  • a description of the space
  • the names of those allowed to enter the space
  • the time the permit is valid
  • the things to do before work commences (e.g. cleansing and entry) and during work (e.g. continuous communication with / monitoring of workers)
  • a section for the competent person to acknowledge that everyone has left the space.

A competent person is someone who has acquired - through training, qualification or experience - the knowledge and skills to carry out inspections of confined spaces.

Administering agency

Department of Customer Service

SafeWork NSW

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.