Controlled Activity Approval - New South Wales


You will need this approval if you intend to undertake works which may impact the quantity or flow of water in a water source.

A controlled activity approval allows you to carry out a specified controlled activity at a specified location on waterfront land. Waterfront land includes the bed of any river, lake or estuary and any land within 40 meters of its mean high water mark.

Approval is required for the following activities:

  • erecting a building or carrying out a work
  • removing material or vegetation from land
  • depositing material on land, including through landfill operations
  • any other activity that affects the quantity or flow of water in a water source.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this approval, you must:

  • complete the relevant application form
  • provide any information required by the Agency
  • pay the required fees.

The application form details further requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Act(s) name

Water Management Act 2000 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Water Management (General) Regulation 2018 New South Wales

Administering agency

Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water

NSW Office of Water

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.