You will need a demolition licence if you intend to demolish (or partially demolish) any building, structure or installation. There are two types of licence:
- Demolition licence (DE1)
- Restricted demolition licence (DE2).
A demolition licence (DE1) is required to demolish (or partially demolish) any building, structure or installation that:
- is over 15 meters in height
- is a chemical installation
- involves a tower crane on site
- involves a mobile crane with a rated capacity of more than 100 tonnes
- has structural components that are pre-tensioned or post-tensioned
- involves floor propping
- involves explosives.
A restricted demolition licence (DE2) is required to demolish (or partially demolish) any building, structure or installation that:
- is between four metres and 15 metres in height involving mechanical demolition such as using excavators, bulldozers or cranes
- is between 10 metres and 15 metres in height and affects its structural integrity
- involves the use of load shifting machinery on suspended floors.
Please be aware that you are required to give notice to the Agency at least 5 days before the work commences.