Develop or Subdivide Maritime Areas - New South Wales


You will require this approval if you intend to create or amend a development or subdivision in certain maritime areas owned by the Agency.

The Agency is vested with ownership of a number of areas of land that can be built upon by members of the public if permission is granted. You must first receive permission from the Agency to lodge an application before it may be submitted to the consent authority for approval. If the Agency is the consent authority, you must still receive permission to lodge before you may submit the development or subdivision plans for approval.

Maritime areas the Agency own include:

  • the beds of Sydney Harbour, Botany Bay, Newcastle Harbour and Port Kembla Harbour
  • certain reclaimed land, dry land and intertidal land.

The Agency is the consent authority for most developments on Sydney Harbour. However, local council approval may also be required if a development extends on to land that is not regulated by the Agency. For example, plans for the construction of a building on dry land and a connected pier extending in to Sydney Harbour may require both Agency and local council approval.

If you intend to commence a development on Sydney Harbour, you may require a Construction Certificate before work may begin. The purpose of this certificate is to ensure the development complies with any relevant legislation or standards.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

In addition to receiving permission from the Agency to develop or subdivide, you may require further approval from other consent authorities before work may commence.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will change depending on your circumstances. Please contact the agency for more information.


Act(s) name

Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2021 New South Wales

Lodgement process


You can use lodge your planning applications online via the e-lodgement platform.

Administering agency

Transport for NSW

Roads and Maritime Services

NSW Maritime Division

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.