Environment Protection Licence - New South Wales


You will require this licence if you intend to undertake certain industrial, agricultural, transport, extractive or waste related activities that may impact upon the environment. If you intend to undertake any of the following types of activities you may require this licence:

  • Agricultural processing (for example: dairy, grape or general agricultural processing);
  • Aquaculture or mariculture (for example: the commercial production of marine, estuarine or freshwater organisms);
  • Brewing and distilling;
  • Cement or lime handling / production;
  • Ceramic works (for example: ceramic waste generation, ceramics production, and glass production);
  • Chemical production, storage or container reconditioning (for example, fertilisers, batteries, explosives, etc);
  • Coal works or mines;
  • Petroleum exploration, assessment and production;
  • Coke production (producing coke from coal);
  • Manufacturing compost;
  • Concrete works;
  • Contaminated soil or groundwater treatment;
  • Crushing, grinding or separating sand, gravel or assorted minerals;
  • Electricity generation;
  • Energy recovery (the recovery of energy from waste materials);
  • Operating a helicopter;
  • Extractive Activities (for example: mining);
  • Irrigated agriculture;
  • Livestock processing / intensive activities (for example: the farming, housing or processing of cows, sheep, pigs, poultry, etc);
  • Logging operations;
  • Wood or timber milling or processing;
  • Wood preservation;
  • Operate a marina or conduct boat repairs;
  • Metallurgical activities (for example: refinement or processing of minerals into metal products);
  • Mineral mining or processing;
  • Paper or pulp production;
  • Petroleum and fuel production;
  • Printing, packaging and visual communication activities that involves the use of hazardous substances;
  • Operating railway;
  • Shipping in bulk;
  • Road construction;
  • Sewage treatment;
  • Operating a wharf and the associated facilities that are used for the bulk loading and unloading of vessels dealing in agricultural products, minerals, etc;
  • Sterilisation activities (for example: using certain chemicals to sterilise products); and
  • Storing, treatment, transporting, processing or disposing of waste.

Please note that:

  • Different licences are issued for activities undertaken on premises and off premises; and
  • If there are additional activities that need to be undertaken to support one of the above activities, they may also need to be licensed.

As this licensing regime is complicated, please consult the Contact Officer for more information before submitting your application.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

The requirements for this licence vary depending on the activity proposed to be undertaken. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


This licence remains in force until it is suspended, revoked or surrendered.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Other resources

Act(s) name

Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 NSW

Regulation(s) name

Protection of the Environment Operations (General) Regulation 2009 NSW

Lodgement process


Please lodge your application directly with the Agency.

Administering agency

Department of Planning and Environment

NSW Environment Protection Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Head Office

NSW Environment Protection Authority

Department of Planning and Environment

Mailing address: PO BOX A290
Sydney South, New South Wales 1232
Phone: 13 15 55
Phone: 02 9995 5555
Fax: 02 9995 5999
Email: info@environment.nsw.gov.au