Grazing Stock Permit - New South Wales


You will require this permit if you intend to graze livestock on a travelling stock reserve or public road. A travelling stock reserve is any route or land set aside for travelling stock, including a stock watering place.

There are two types of permit:

  • Grazing stock permit: generally issued to the landholder adjoining an enclosed travelling stock reserve for use over an extended period. It is a condition of this permit that travelling stock are still permitted to access the reserve.
  • Roadside grazing stock permit: generally issued for a short period of time over a specific section of road in times of drought or for hazard reduction. This permit is also issued to the landholder adjoining the area as there are no watering facilities and so stock is moved back to the property at night.

Please be aware that NSW is divided into 11 regions. Each region has a regional office which is responsible for the management of travelling stock reserves in its area.

Please consult your regional office for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You may be able to make your application orally or using an approved form. If you application is made orally, you may be requested to confirm your application in writing.

Please consult your regional office for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As designated.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $1.00

Fee per animal other than horses and camels per day.

Apply Application All $2.00 Fee per horse or camel per day.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Grazing Stock Permit - Please consult directly with your Local Land Services office for a copy of this document.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Contact Us - Regional Contacts (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Local Land Services Act 2013 NSW

Regulation(s) name

Local Land Services Regulation 2014 NSW

Lodgement process


An application for a stock permit must be made at least 2 working days before the grazing of livestock on a travelling stock reserve or public road in a region (unless your regional office agrees to accept the application although it is not made in that period).

Administering agency

Department of Industry

Local Land Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.


Local Land Services

Department of Industry

Operating address: MLC Centre
Level 48
19 Martin Place
Sydney, New South Wales 2000
Mailing address: PO BOX 2105
Dubbo, New South Wales 2830
Toll Free: 1300 795 299
Website: Local Land Services (Opens in new window)