You may need approval from your local council if you intend to operate a home based business. A home based business is any business where the primary office is located in the business owner's home or in a building connected to their home. Whether you need approval will depend on a number of factors, including:
- the number of people employed by your business
- impact of your business on the surrounding neighbourhood
- whether your business will handle or manufacture food products
- whether your business will involve skin penetration procedures
- the number of business identification signs that will be displayed at your business premises.
If you need council approval, the level of approval required will depend on the potential impact of your proposed business on the site and surrounding amenity, neighbours and locality. Please contact your local council's planning team for further assistance.