You will require this licence if you intend to operate a business that processes, stores or handles meat. This includes businesses such as:
- retail meat premises
- meat vans
- game meat harvesters' vehicles and field chillers (for animal food or human consumption)
- meat processing plants
- knackeries and rendering plants
- domestic and export abattoirs.
Please note that:
- this includes businesses that deal in a range of different animal meat (for example: red meat, poultry, rabbit, game meat, etc) and that there are specific rules for different types of meat
- all meat product businesses must comply with relevant parts of the Food Standards Code
- depending on the nature of your activities you may need to have an audited Food Safety Program in place for your business.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.