Licence to Sell Liquor for Consumption On-Premises - New South Wales


You will require this licence if you intend to sell alcohol to the public for consumption on your premises. This licence applies to a variety of activities including (but not limited to):

  • restaurants and cafes
  • accommodation premises (e.g. motel, bed and breakfast)
  • public entertainment venues (e.g. nightclub, theatre)
  • public halls
  • sporting facilities (sporting club or stadium)
  • racing facilities
  • tourism businesses
  • catering services or function centres
  • tertiary institutions (university or college)
  • airports.

This licence is issued where the sale, supply or consumption of liquor is not the primary business or activity carried out on the premises. The sale of alcohol under this licence must be with or additional to another product or service, for example accommodation or food.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • be 18 years old or over
  • be a fit and proper person to carry on the business
  • ensure your premises and facilities meet standards and requirements specified under the Act
  • provide a copy of the local Council's development consent or approval for the premises (if required and approved)
  • undergo a police check and provide the certificate (if you are applying as an individual)
  • if you are applying to operate a pubic entertainment venue, provide a community impact statement (CIS)
  • provide a copy of your Responsibly Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate or competency card (if you are applying as an individual)
  • submit the required forms and documentation
  • pay any required fees.

Please be aware that you can apply as an individual or a corporation. If you are applying as a corporation you must have an appointed manager that has been approved by the Authority. This is a separate application process.

You are advised that all staff must attend any required training for the purposes of the licence as specified by the Authority, including a responsible service of alcohol (RSA) course by a registered training organisation.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Remains in force until surrendered or cancelled.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $700.00 -
Apply Licence All $426.00

Additional risk-based loadings (fees that reflect the level of risk posed by your venue and its operation) may apply.

Act(s) name

Liquor Act 2007 NSW

Regulation(s) name

Liquor Regulation 2008 NSW

Additional information

Please be aware that:

  • you can apply as an individual or a corporation
  • standard trading hours will apply (5.00am to midnight Monday to Saturday, and 10.00am to 10.00pm on Sunday). If you intend to sell or supply liquor out of the standard trading hours an application to extended trading hours is required
  • you can apply for a Primary Service Authorisation that allows you to offer liquor without needing to be with or ancillary to a meal
  • there is a liquor licensing freeze that applies to additional authorisations (such as Primary Service Authorisation or extended trading) for premises in prescribed precincts in the City of Sydney local government area.

Administering agency

Department of Industry

Liquor and Gaming NSW

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Liquor Applications

Liquor and Gaming NSW

Department of Industry

Operating address: Level 6
323 Castlereagh Street
Haymarket, New South Wales 2000
Mailing address: GPO BOX 7060
Sydney, New South Wales 2001
Phone: 1300 024 720
Website: Liquor and Gaming NSW (Opens in new window)