You will require this licence if you carry on the business of carrying out repair work on motor vehicles. Repair includes examine, detect faults in, adjust, carry out maintenance on, overhaul, replace, alter and paint. Repair work means work of a class or classes prescribed by the Motor Dealers and Repairers Regulation 2014.
Classes of repair work are automotive electrician, body maker, compressed natural gas mechanic, liquefied natural gas mechanic, liquefied petroleum gas mechanic, motorcycle mechanic, motor mechanic, panelbeater, trailer and caravan mechanic, transmission specialist, underbody work, and vehicle painter.
A business can be operated from a fixed workshop or a mobile workshop.
A motor vehicle is a vehicle of the following kind that is built to be propelled by a motor that forms part of the vehicle, and includes a trailer:
- A description of vehicle on wheels, other than a vehicle used on a railway or tramway or an aircraft
- A description of tracked vehicle, or any description of vehicle that moves on revolving runners inside endless tracks, that is not used exclusively on a railway or tramway.
The following types of vehicles are exempted from the Act and a licence is not required:
- a crane, hoist or conveyor
- an excavator, road grader, road roller, bulldozer or forklift truck or other machinery, that is not constructed on a chassis of a type normally used in the construction of a truck
- a motor vehicle that is constructed or adapted for road construction or maintenance (including cleaning, sweeping or watering)
- a vehicle that is not acquired for use principally for the transport of passengers or goods on public roads (other than a trailer or towable recreation vehicle)
- a vehicle that is incapable of being registered by Roads and Maritime Services under the Road Transport Act 2013 (other than a motorcycle that is an unregistrable new motor cycle, or a defective registrable vehicle within the meaning of the Road Transport Act 2013).
Please note that an unregistrable new motor cycle is a motor cycle (not being a second-hand motor cycle) that is of a design that makes it incapable of being registered in NSW.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.