NSW Chemical Tanker Construction Certificate - New South Wales


If you are the master or owner of a prescribed ship, you must obtain this certificate before you begin a voyage.

This certificate applies to ships:

  • carrying noxious liquid substances in bulk
  • engaged in a voyage to a port or terminal in the State.

A prescribed ship means an oil tanker that has a gross tonnage of 150 or more, or that is a ship, other than an oil tanker, that has a gross tonnage of 400 or more, that is:

  • a trading ship proceeding on an intra-state voyage
  • an Australian fishing vessel proceeding on a voyage other than an overseas voyage
  • a pleasure vessel.

Please be aware that:

  • you must ensure that the certificate is carried on board the ship
  • if you hold a certificate in a different state or under commonwealth legislation you may not require this certificate
  • the ship must also have adequate insurance.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible, you must:

  • submit declarations of survey in respect of the ship
  • satisfy the Agency that the ship is constructed in accordance with the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships, 1973 (otherwise known as MARPOL) and the ship's structure, equipment, systems, fittings, arrangements and material fully comply with the relevant provisions of MARPOL.


5 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact the agency for more information.


Act(s) name

Marine Pollution Act 2012 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Marine Pollution Regulation 2014 New South Wales

Administering agency

Transport for NSW

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.