If you are the master or owner of a prescribed ship you must ensure that you obtain a Ship Construction Certificate before you begin a voyage.
A prescribed ship means an oil tanker that has a gross tonnage of 150 or more, or that is a ship, other than an oil tanker, that has a gross tonnage of 400 or more, that is:
- a trading ship proceeding on an intra-state voyage
- an Australian fishing vessel proceeding on a voyage other than an overseas voyage
- a pleasure vessel.
Please be aware that:
- you must ensure that the certificate is carried on board the ship
- if you hold a certificate in a different state or under commonwealth legislation you may not require this certificate
- the ship must also have adequate insurance.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.