On-Course and Off-Course Totalizator Licence - New South Wales


You will need this licence if you intend to conduct a totalizator for betting on any of the following:

  • Events and contingencies scheduled to be held at a race meeting on any race course (including horse racing, harness racing or greyhound racing events or contingencies).
  • Any declared betting event (for example, golf, Olympic Games, football, and test matches). Please refer to the attached document for a current list of declared events.

A totalizator (or tote) is a system used for betting on events that records the bets, works out odds and pays winnings to successful participants. There are two types of licences:

  • On-course licence - allows a totalizator to be used to place bets by people on a racecourse.
  • Off-course licence - allows a totalizator to be used to place bets by people outside a racecourse.

Please be aware that to be entitled to an on-course totalizator licence, you must be a racing club or TAB. Currently, only TAB are entitled to be granted a licence to conduct an off-course totalizator.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for an on-course licence, you must be a racing club or TAB. Only TAB is currently eligible for an off-course licence. You must not hold a casino licence or any other licence or business activity that the regulations may prescribe.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact the agency for more information.


Act(s) name

Totalizator Act 1997 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Totalizator Regulation 2022 New South Wales

Administering agency

Department of Enterprise, Investment and Trade

Office of Racing

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.