On-Premises Licence - New South Wales


You will require this licence if you intend to sell alcohol to the public for consumption on your premises. This licence applies to a variety of activities, including (but not limited to):

  • restaurants and cafes
  • accommodation premises (e.g. motel, bed and breakfast)
  • public entertainment venues (e.g. nightclub, theatre)
  • public halls
  • music festivals
  • sporting facilities (sporting club or stadium)
  • racing facilities
  • tourism businesses
  • catering services or function centres
  • tertiary institutions (university or college)
  • airports.

This licence is issued where the sale, supply or consumption of liquor is not the primary business or activity carried out on the premises. The sale of alcohol under this licence must be with or additional to another product or service, for example accommodation or food.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • be 18 years old or over
  • be a fit and proper person to carry on the business
  • ensure your premises and facilities meet standards and requirements specified under the Act
  • provide a copy of the local council's development consent or approval for the premises (if required and approved)
  • undergo a police check and provide the certificate (if you are applying as an individual)
  • if you are applying to operate a public entertainment venue, provide a community impact statement (CIS)
  • provide a copy of your Responsibly Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate or competency card (if you are applying as an individual).

Please be aware that you can apply as an individual or a corporation. If you are applying as a corporation you must have an appointed manager that has been approved by the Authority. This is a separate application process.

You are advised that all staff must attend any required training for the purposes of the licence as specified by the Authority, including a responsible service of alcohol (RSA) course by a registered training organisation.


Remains in force until surrendered or cancelled.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount
Apply Application All $446.00

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Annual Liquor Licence Fees (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Liquor Act 2007 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Liquor Regulation 2018 New South Wales

Additional information

Please be aware that:

  • you can apply as an individual or a corporation
  • standard trading hours will apply (5.00am to midnight Monday to Saturday, and 10.00am to 10.00pm on Sunday). If you intend to sell or supply liquor out of the standard trading hours, an application for extended trading hours is required
  • you can apply for a Primary Service Authorisation that allows you to offer liquor without needing to be with or ancillary to a meal.

You can use the Liquor Licence Manager to view and actively manage your liquor licences. Please use the link in supporting information to learn more about managing your licence.

Administering agency

Department of Customer Service

Liquor and Gaming NSW

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Liquor Applications

Liquor and Gaming NSW

Department of Customer Service

New South Wales
Operating address: 4 Parramatta Square
2 Darcy Street
Parramatta, New South Wales 2150
Mailing address: GPO BOX 7060
Sydney, New South Wales 2001
Phone: 1300 024 720
Email: liquor.applications@liquorandgaming.nsw.gov.au
Website: Liquor and Gaming NSW (Opens in new window)