Operate a Business or Undertake a Commercial Activity on Reserved Land - New South Wales


If you intend to operate a business or undertake a commercial activity on reserved land, you will require consent from the Agency. Reserved land is any land reserved under the Act as a national park, historic site, state conservation area, Regional Park, karst conservation reserve, nature reserve or an Aboriginal area.

You can apply to the Agency for permission to operate a particular business or commercial activity including to:

  • operate accommodation facilities such as historical homesteads, cabins, lighthouses and camping grounds or caravan parks
  • operate restaurants, kiosks or cafes
  • conduct commercial tour operations
  • undertake commercial filming and photography.

Please be aware that you may also require an agreement in the form of a lease, licence, permit, consent, franchise or easement (for example for power or water supply services) to operate your business or undertake your commercial activity. This will allow any of the following:

  • the exclusive use of the land, buildings and structures
  • the erection of a new building or structure
  • modification of an existing building or structure.

Please see the attached document for examples of the types of activities that will require this approval.

All commercial opportunities are advertised on the NSW Government tenders website.

The Regulation allows for certain activities to be conducted in a park with the consent of the Agency. Activities include, but are not limited to:

  • camping and residing in areas not set aside for that purpose
  • lighting fires
  • carry a firearm
  • sporting and recreational activities (for example, organise a sporting competition, a concert or bungy jumping)
  • research.

Please consult the Contact Officer in the first instance to determine if your activity will require approval.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult directly with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.

Act(s) name

National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

National Parks and Wildlife Regulation 2019 New South Wales

Administering agency

Department of Planning, Industry and Environment

Office of Environment and Heritage

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Head Office

Office of Environment and Heritage

Department of Planning, Industry and Environment

Operating address: Level 14
59 - 61 Goulburn Street
Sydney, New South Wales 2000
Mailing address: PO BOX A290
Sydney South, New South Wales 1235
Phone: 02 9995 5000
Phone: 13 15 55
Email: info@environment.nsw.gov.au
Website: Office of Environment and Heritage (Opens in new window)