You will need a permit to own a dog that is either:
- declared dangerous or menacing
- a restricted breed aged over six months.
A dog can be declared as dangerous by an authorised council officer or a local court because it:
- has attacked or killed a person or animal without provocation
- has repeatedly threatened to attack or repeatedly chased a person or animal without provocation
- is kept or used for hunting (not including a dog used for locating, flushing, pointing or retrieving birds or vermin).
The following breeds are restricted:
- American pitbull terrier
- pitbull terrier
- Japanese tosa
- dogo Argentino
- fila Brasileiro
- perro de presa Canario.
Please note that permit holders must comply with requirements for enclosures, gates and warning signs for dangerous dogs.