You will require a permit for certain activities conducted in NSW marine parks. There are 6 marine parks in NSW and each park has a separate set of management rules that outline the types of activities that require a permit to undertake. The number of activities requiring a permit varies between marine parks.
There are a number of activities within the park that require a marine parks permit which include:
- commercial activities - including tourism operations but not commercial fishing
- collecting for commercial and private aquariums
- competitions including line fishing and spearfishing
- hovercrafts, airboats and seaplanes
- traditional Indigenous fishing use
- organised events including sporting or other activities
Please be aware that:
- in some cases, you will not require a permit if you hold a planning approval
- each marine park is divided into zones (for example: sanctuary, habitat protection and general use zones) and the permits required for each zone in each marine park will vary.
Please consult the Contact Officer in the first instance to determine whether your proposed activity will require a permit.