Permit to Undertake Activities within NSW Marine Parks - New South Wales


You will require a permit for certain activities conducted in NSW marine parks. There are 6 marine parks in NSW and each park has a separate set of management rules that outline the types of activities that require a permit to undertake. The number of activities requiring a permit varies between marine parks.

This following list identifies the types of activities that may require a permit:

  • harm any animal or plant
  • damage or interfere with any habitat
  • clean any fish or fishing gear
  • dredging and beach replenishment (excavation of sand or other material)
  • undertake aquaculture
  • take or attempt to take fish (including for aquarium collection)
  • activities associated with moorings, buoys, signs, boundary markers and vessels, motorised vehicles
  • bring domesticated animals into a marine park
  • organised research
  • camping and lighting fires
  • sell or hire any article, thing or service
  • conduct amusement, entertainment, instruction, performance or activity for money
  • filming
  • organised sporting, educational and recreational activities including sporting competitions, concerts and educational programs.

Please be aware that:

  • in some cases, you will not require a permit if you hold a planning approval
  • each marine park is divided into zones (for example: sanctuary, habitat protection and general use zones) and the permits required for each zone in each marine park will vary.

Please consult the Contact Officer in the first instance to determine whether your proposed activity will require a permit.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.


As specified on the permit.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.

Act(s) name

Marine Estate Management Act 2014 NSW

Regulation(s) name

Marine Estate Management Regulation 2009 NSW

Application process


You may be requested to provide further information to allow for a full assessment your proposals under the criteria set out in the regulations.

Lodgement process


Applications must be lodged at the office of the appropriate marine park. Applications can be lodged in person, by post, by fax or by mail.

Administering agency

Department of Industry

NSW Department of Primary Industries

Fisheries NSW

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Marine Environment

Fisheries NSW

NSW Department of Primary Industries

Department of Industry

Mailing address: Locked Bag 1
Nelson Bay
New South Wales 2315
Phone: 1300 550 474
Fax: 02 4982 1107