Permit to Use Explosives, Electrical Devices or Other Dangerous Substances - New South Wales


You will need this permit if you intend to use explosives, electrical devices or dangerous chemicals in or near water (seas, oceans, tributaries, lakes, dams, rivers, creeks, etc). This permit can be used for activities such as capturing fish, scientific purposes (including the testing of defence equipment), sinking piers, creating trenches, destroying derelict ships and for fireworks displays.

Applications for the use of explosives will only be approved where it is required for essential community purposes. Applications may be approved for the use of electrical devices or poisons to be used in the removal of noxious or introduced species from waters.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $359.00

Fees for 2023-24

Apply Application All -

Assessment fees:

  • minor - up to 3 hours - $179.00
  • moderate - 3 to 7 hours - $418.00
  • major - 7 to 21 hours - $1497.00
  • complex - more than 21 hours - $3891.00.

Fees for 2023-24

Vary Variation All $74.00

Additional assessment fee per hour or part thereof. Fees for 2023-24

Application process


You must include specific details in your application regarding the electronic and explosive equipment to be used and the areas in which it will be used. Please see the application form for more details.

Administering agency

Department of Regional NSW

NSW Department of Primary Industries

Fisheries NSW

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.