You may need this registration if you are responsible for the management or control of an item of plant at a workplace. Plant includes:
- any machinery, equipment, appliance, container, pressure vessel, boiler, implement and tool
- any component of those things
- anything fitted or connected to any of those things.
Types of plant that must be registered include:
- boilers with a hazard level of A, B or C
- pressure vessels with a hazard of A, B or C (exclusions apply)
- tower cranes (including self-erecting tower cranes)
- lifts, including escalators and moving walkways
- building maintenance units
- specific types of amusement devices
- concrete placement units with delivery booms
- mobile cranes with rated capacity of greater than 10 tonnes.
The purpose of registering an item of plant is to ensure that it is inspected by a competent person and is safe to operate.