Private Water Suppliers Requirements - New South Wales


You will need to comply with these requirements if you intend to operate as a private water supplier. Private water suppliers supplies people with drinking water from an independent water supply. This includes water from rivers, creeks, bores, dams and water from rainwater tanks. It does not include supplies provided by water utilities (i.e. town water) or individual household supplies.

Facilities with a private water supply can include:

  • caravan parks, camping grounds and manufactured home estates
  • guest houses, bed and breakfast accommodation, motels, backpacker accommodation, farmstay accommodation and hotels
  • petrol stations and roadhouses
  • community halls
  • conference centres
  • recreational and sporting facilities
  • schools and home based child care
  • food manufacturing premises
  • cafes and restaurants
  • marinas
  • mines and worksites.

Water carters are required to:

  • have a quality assurance program (QAP) that complies with the Regulation
  • comply with (i.e. implement) its QAP
  • provide a copy of the QAP to the local Public Health Unit
  • keep records relating to managing the safety of its drinking water supply.

Please note that your specific requirements may change depending on your circumstances. Please contact the agency and your local council for further guidance.

Service type

Regulatory Obligation

An obligation defined in law. A business must comply with relevant services.

Act(s) name

Food Act 2003 New South Wales

Local Government Act 1993 New South Wales

Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 New South Wales

Public Health Act 2010 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Public Health Regulation 2022 New South Wales

Administering agency

NSW Ministry of Health

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.