Road Occupancy Licence - Development Activities - New South Wales


You will need this licence to occupy a New South Wales State road for development activities which involve the modification of state road assets. Examples of such activities include:

  • new constructions or major upgrades or redevelopments
  • road maintenance including kerb and gutter repair
  • road widening
  • repair or construction of road signs, and road re-surfacing.

The licence applies to the occupation of the road space only and does not authorise the physical works being undertaken. You may need to obtain other approvals or licences for works.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • submit an application via the Online Planned Incident System (OPLINC)
  • provide notice to the public about the development and encourage expression of public opinion
  • undertake a risk assessment of the activities described in the road occupancy application
  • have obtained (or be willing to obtain) any other relevant approvals, permits or licences
  • provide any other details (such as plans) that may be required.

Please note that Traffic Management Plans must be prepared by a person in possession of a current Select / Modify Traffic Plans qualification or higher.


As specified. If activities cannot go ahead at the times approved on a licence, because of weather or other unforeseen circumstances, you may reapply for an extension.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

You do not need to pay any fees.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
General All Road Occupancy Manual - PDF (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Roads Act 1993 New South Wales

Application process


For all occupancies that are on or may impact upon a state roads, applications are to be made to the Road Occupancy Unit. For occupancies that impact solely upon council roads, applications are to be made to the relevant local council authority.


Applications must be made online through OPLINC.

Approval time

10 working days

Administering agency

Transport for NSW

Roads and Maritime Services

Road Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.