If you are the master or owner of a large ship, you must ensure that you obtain a Sewage Pollution Prevention Certificate before you begin a voyage.
A large ship means a ship that:
- has a gross tonnage of 400 tons or more
- has a gross tonnage of less than 400 tons and that is certified to carry more than 15 persons
- does not have a measured tonnage and is certified to carry more than 15 persons.
Please be aware that:
- you must ensure that the certificate is carried on board the ship
- if you hold a certificate in a different state or under commonwealth legislation you may not require this certificate
- the ship must also have adequate insurance.