** Scheduled maintenance **

The Department of Industry, Science and Resources has scheduled maintenance that will affect this service. From 7:00am to 11:00pm Saturday 20 July 2024 (AEDT). During this time you may experience intermittent disruptions to the service.

Short Term Rental Accommodation Registration - New South Wales


You will need this registration if you intend to provide short term rental accommodation (STRA) using a residential property. STRA registration only applies to residential accommodation such as houses, units and terraces. You do not need to register a caravan, tent or moveable dwelling. Accommodation can be hosted, where the owner lives on the property as their primary residence, or non-hosted, where the property is not the owner’s primary residence. Residential properties required to register for STRA include:

  • a dwelling house (free-standing house), an attached dwelling, or a semi-detached dwelling
  • a dual occupancy
  • multi-dwelling housing
  • a residential flat (such as a unit in a block of flats)
  • a secondary dwelling (such as a granny flat)
  • housing above shops.

Certain areas such as the greater Sydney region and Ballina local government area have a non-hosted STRA limit of 180 days per year, and a limit of 20 consecutive days per booking. Please contact your local council for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Dwellings intended to be used as STRA must comply with fire safety standards. Please see the attached resource for more information.


1 year


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $65.00

Registration fee. Fees for 2023-24

Renew Renewal All $25.00

Fees for 2023-24


Act(s) name

Fair Trading Act 1987 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Fair Trading Regulation 2019 New South Wales

Transfer process


You cannot transfer registration to another person. To change the registered owner, you must deregister so the new owner can register.

Administering agency

Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure

Planning Group

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.