You will need this licence to perform major surgery on animals at any location or if you intend to advertise any premises as an animal or veterinary hospital. The board can issue three types of licences:
- small animal hospital licence
- large animal hospital licence
- small and large (mixed) animal hospital licence.
Small animals include:
- aviary birds
- aquarium fish
- most Australian wildlife.
Large animals include:
- any young animal from these categories.
As a holder of a veterinary hospital licence, you must ensure that the premises are managed by a superintendent who is a registered veterinary practitioner and that all hospital equipment is fit for purpose and well maintained.