You will require this licence to perform major surgery on animals at any location or if you intend to advertise any premises as an animal or veterinary hospital. The board can issue three types of licences:
- small animal hospital licence
- large animal hospital licence
- small and large (mixed) animal hospital licence.
Small animals include:
- Aviary birds
- Aquarium fish
- Most Australian wildlife.
Large animals include:
- Any young animal from these categories.
As a holder of a veterinary hospital licence, you must ensure that the premises are managed by a superintendent who is a registered veterinary practitioner and that all hospital equipment is fit for purpose and well maintained.
You do not need a veterinary hospital licence if you perform major surgery on an animal in an emergency or in a situation where the animal cannot be moved to a hospital.
Your application for a licence must include:
- the business name that your hospital will operate under
- the name of any veterinary practitioners who have a controlling interest in the corporation that is applying for a licence
- the type of services that the veterinary hospital will provide
- a detailed floor plan of the proposed hospital and the location of essential equipment and facilities set out in the Minimum Requirements for Veterinary Hospitals.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.