Western Lands Leases - New South Wales


The majority of land in the Western Division of NSW is held under Western Land leases. Leases are granted for specific purposes. Most leases are used for grazing, cultivation, feedlot, farm tourism and agriculture but there are also leases for businesses and residences (mostly in town).

Leases are bought and sold like freehold property. There are currently no new leases; the only way you can obtain a lease is to buy one that already exists. Conditions are attached to these leases to ensure the land is managed in a sustainable manner.

Please be aware that if you intend to subdivide land comprised in the lease you will need to first obtain approval.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a lease you must:

  • fill out all required forms
  • pay all required fees and deposits
  • be willing to abide by the conditions set out in the documents.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



For a term that doesnt exceed 40 years..


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $186.00

Western Lands: Lease Application

General Application All -

Further fees may apply. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Renew Renewal All $21.00 Fee per additional lease in extension application.
Transfer Transfer All $186.00 -
Transfer Transfer All $265.00 Additional fee where inspection required.
Vary Variation All $186.00

Extension of term of lease.

Act(s) name

Western Lands Act 1901 NSW

Regulation(s) name

Western Lands Regulation 2011 NSW

Application process


No new leases are currently available. Applicants should be aware that the only way to obtain a lease is to take over or buy an existing lease.

Administering agency

Department of Industry

NSW Department of Primary Industries

NSW Crown Land

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Western Lands

NSW Crown Land

NSW Department of Primary Industries

Department of Industry

Mailing address: PO BOX 2185
Dangar, New South Wales 2309
Phone: 02 6883 5400
Email: western.region@crownland.nsw.gov.au
Website: Land and Natural Resources (Opens in new window)