You can apply to become an approved association if you operate a community organisation with at least 10 members and do business in the Northern Territory that carries out business for any of the following purposes:
- religious, educational, benevolent or charitable
- provides medical treatment or attention
- promotes or encourages literature, science art or cultural activity
- recreation or amusement
- beautifying or improving a community centre.
If you are approved, you can conduct community lotteries and raffles including any of the following:
- raffles with $5,000 or less in total ticket sales
- tipping competitions and mini-lotto offering total prizes of less than $5,000
- bingo, sweepstakes and Calcuttas
- minor or major lotteries where the total value of the tickets is more than $5,000 - subject to approval
- operate ticketing machines - subject to approval
- lottery-type games of chance provided the games and prizes offered are not prohibited.