You will need this licence if you intend to conduct business as an armourer. Armourers repair and manufacture firearms on a commercial basis. There are two grades of licence:
- Grade 1: enables an experienced gunsmith to carry out general repairs and service and allows for the manufacture of parts, carry out firearms modifications and any other type of work required on firearms
- Grade 2: applies if you intend to undertake limited work on a firearm. This may include replacing and fitting factory/aftermarket parts and maintaining and carrying out general servicing of firearms.
You may be required to undertake a theory test to prove your knowledge and competence in working with metals relating to firearms, gunsmithing, and safety requirements.
Licence holders must:
- comply with the relevant safe keeping and storage requirements under the Firearms Act 1997
- not permit any unauthorised person to possess or use a firearm in the holder's possession
- permit a police officer to inspect, at any reasonable time, the holder's facilities for the storage and safe keeping of firearms
- not possess an amount of ammunition that exceeds the amount authorised in writing by the Commissioner.