Building Contractor Residential (Unrestricted) Registration - Northern Territory


A Building Contractor (Unrestricted) may undertake construction of any of the following:

(a) a Class 1a building which includes a single dwelling being:
i. a detached house; or
ii. one of a group of two or more attached dwellings, each being a building separated by a fire-resisting wall e.g. terrace house, town house or villa unit; or

(b) a Class 2 building containing 2 or more sole occupancy units each being a separate dwelling;

(c) a Class 10 building e.g. a carport or garage attached to a Class 1a or Class 2 building if it is constructed at the same time as the Class 1a or Class 2 building is constructed; or

(d) a retaining wall (whenever constructed) that is not attached to a Class 1a or Class 2 building but on which the integrity of such a building depends;

in accordance with the provisions of the Building Act, Building Regulations and Building Code of Australia.

If a corporation is a registered building contractor, then they must have a director or nominated individual, resident in the NT, who is also registered in the same category.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

At least 3 years practical experience in carrying out building work as mentioned above, net tangible assets of at least $50 000 as certified by an accountant and one of the following:
(a) successful completion of the prescribed units for a Certificate IV in Building.

(b) successful completion of a course, or units of a course, that, in the opinion of the Practitioners Board, is at least equivalent to the requirements referred to in paragraph (a); or

(c) a statement of attainment of competency equivalent to the Certificate IV in Building units specified in paragraph (a) issued by a registered training organisation within the meaning of the Northern Territory Employment and Training Act.


2 years.


Fees vary. Further information is available from

Act(s) name

Building Act 1993 Northern Territory

Administering agency

Building Practitioners Board

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Licensing Officer

Operating address: Level 3, NAB House
71 Smith Street
Darwin NT 0800
Mailing address: GPO Box 1154
Darwin NT 0801
Phone: 0889364082
Website: (Opens in new window)