Permit to Conduct Commercial Photography, Filming or Sound Recording in a Park or Reserve - Northern Territory


You will need this permit if you intend to commercially photograph or film in a managed park or reserve.

There are three categories of permit:

  • standard - required if you intend to take usual images and do not require any special conditions
  • non-standard - required when you intend to take unusual images, need special access or supervision or pose a cultural concern to Aboriginal Traditional Owners
  • annual - required if you are an individual photographer or film-maker who produces stock images or footage and do not require any props, models or pose a risk to the park.

This permit also applies to the use of drones within parks for commercial use, including where film or photographs taken from the aircraft are sold or used to promote a product or business.

It is a condition of all licences that you must not film or photograph in any dangerous situation or less than two metres from a cliff or show people doing anything improper, unsafe or unusual, if the park can be identified.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible, you may require public liability insurance cover for at least $10,000,000. You will require insurance if you:

  • pose an unusual risk to people or the park
  • have a crew of three or more people
  • use sets or props
  • use unusual vehicles
  • have paid models or talents
  • want to use aircraft in parks.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

A minimum fee of $55 applies. Fees for 2023-24

Apply Application All

Additional fees will apply if you:

  • want a permit for on-standard photography on short notice
  • need to be supervised by Parks staff or Traditional Owners
  • are working on a feature film or major project.

Local law(s) name

Territory Parks and Wildlife Conservation By-laws 1984

Approval time

Processing time varies. Standard permits can take up to 5 days to process, while non-standard permit can take up to 35 days.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security

Parks and Wildlife Commission

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.