You will need to comply with this code if you intend to work as a veterinarian. The code lays out acceptable conduct for registered veterinarians and provides a framework of the principles, professional and ethical standards expected of veterinary practitioners.
The code requires that registered veterinarians must:
- maintain knowledge of the current standards of the veterinary practice and carry out services in accordance with these standards
- keep detailed records of any consultation, procedure or treatment
- ensure that premises and equipment used for veterinary services are kept in a safe and clean condition
- ensure that assistants to veterinary services have the skills, knowledge and available equipment to comply with industry standards
- ensure that all non-veterinary staff comply with relevant laws and standards
- maintain the confidentiality of information obtained in the course of professional practice.