You will need to comply with this code if you intend to work as a veterinarian. The code lays out acceptable conduct for registered veterinarians and provides a framework of the principles, professional and ethical standards expected of veterinary practitioners.
In addition, the prescribed code requires that registered veterinarians must:
- maintain knowledge of the current standards of the veterinary practice and carry out services in accordance with these standards
- keep details records of any consultation, procedure or treatment
- ensure that any premises at which they provide veterinary services and all equipment are kept in a safe and clean condition
- ensure that all persons assisting with veterinary services have the skills, knowledge and available equipment to ensure that their performance of their duties is according to current standards
- ensure that all non-veterinary staff they employ or are responsible for supervising, carrying out the duties effectively and in compliance with relevant laws and standards
- maintain the confidentiality of information obtained in the course of professional practice.