You will need this licence if you intend to work as a commercial agent. You can be licensed as an individual agent, or as a corporation.
A commercial agent is someone who is paid to:
- locate or seize items subject to a hire purchase agreement or bill of sale
- collect or request payment of debts
- get evidence for legal proceedings
- search for missing persons on behalf of someone else
- seize goods to recover rates, taxes or money
- carry out legal processes as the result of a judgement or court order.
Licensed agents can only carry out work if they haven an approved manager. Agent managers make sure that businesses are following the law and keeping records.
If you have an individual agent licence, you can either apply to be your own manager or get another person to act as a manager.
If you are licensed as a corporation, you must get another person to be your manager.