You will need a licence if you intend to carry on operations in the electricity supply industry.
There are 5 different categories of operation licences. You may apply for any of the following categories:
- a retail licence to sell electricity to customers
- a generation licence to generate electricity that can be sold to either a licenced generator or retailer
- a network licence to own or operate an electricity network within a geographic area and connect the network to another electricity network
- a system control licence to control the relevant power system to ensure the system operates reliably, safely and efficiently
- an isolated system licence to generate and retail electricity, and also own and operate a network. This licence is intended for systems with no (or unlikely) interaction with another licensed entity.
Each licence will require you to comply with applicable codes, rules, protocols and standards, and there may be conditions imposed on your licence to facilitate this.