You will need this licence if you intend to collect firearms. A firearm collector is a person who possess and displays firearms:
- for curiosities or ornaments
- for their historic or artistic value, or mechanical uniqueness.
A collector's piece is a firearm that a collector may want for either of the reasons stated above, and may include a firearm that:
- would not normally be permitted to be registered
- is unsafe
- the applicant does not wish to register the firearm to be carried or discharged
- is approved by the Commissioner of Police as a collector's piece.
Licence holders must:
- comply with the relevant safe keeping and storage requirements under the Firearms Act 1997
- not permit any unauthorised person to possess or use a firearm in the holder's possession
- permit a police officer to inspect, at any reasonable time, the holder's facilities for the storage and safe keeping of firearms
- not possess an amount of ammunition that exceeds the amount authorised in writing by the Commissioner.