You may need to comply with this code if you conduct a business that involves hazardous manual tasks or have a duty to manage hazardous manual tasks in the workplace.
You may achieve compliance with your legislative requirements through another method if it provides an equivalent or higher standard of work health and safety than the code.
A hazardous manual task is a task requiring a person to lift, lower, push, pull, carry or otherwise move, hold or restrain any person, animal or thing involving one or more of the following:
- repetition or sustained force
- high or sudden force
- repetitive movement
- sustained or awkward posture, or
- exposure to vibration.
Duties in relation to hazardous manual tasks in the workplace include:
- managing health and safety risks associated with hazardous manual tasks
- managing hazards and implementing control measures (e.g. risk of injury, exposure to vibration, repetitive movement)
- providing suitable and adequate information, training and instruction to workers.