Licence to Use Premises for Teaching or Research Involving Animals - Northern Territory


You will need this licence if you intend to use premises for teaching or undertaking research involving animals.

You will need to have an ethics committee oversee your teaching or research project. The agency will contact your ethics committee to discuss your proposal and may ask for more information in the process.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible you must satisfy the agency that you:

  • have a genuine purpose for teaching or or research to be conducted on the premises
  • are a fit and proper person to hold a licence
  • have adequate experience and competency in the care of handling animals
  • have adequate premises, equipment and facilities to be used in connection with the breeding, care, use or handling of animals
  • have provisions in place for veterinary treatment  to the animals to be kept, used or bred in or on the premises.


Ongoing eligibility requirements

At the end of each financial year, you must report on your use of animals. This report must include:

  • your name and licence number
  • details of each complaint received about use of animals in teaching
  • information about inspections of animal housing
  • names of projects if applicable.


3 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $100.00

Fees for 2023-24

Renew Renewal All $100.00

Fees for 2023-24

Vary Variation All $50.00

Fees for 2023-24

Approval time

It can take up to six weeks for an application to be assessed.

Administering agency

Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.