You will need to comply with this code if you intend to be responsible for the welfare and husbandry of domestic poultry.
Good welfare of domestic poultry ensures that poultry cope well within their environment and that factors such as growth, reproductive performance, disease levels, injuries and death rates are within industry standards.
The code prescribes standards to ensure that poultry have:
- readily accessible food and water to maintain health and vigour
- freedom to move, stand, turn around, stretch, sit and lie down
- visual contact with other members of the species
- accommodation which provides protection form the weather and which neither harms nor cause distress
- protection of disease, injury and vice, and their rapid treatment should they occur.