You will need to comply with this Code of Practice if you intend to be responsible for the welfare of buffalo under both intensive, deep litter and outdoor litter systems.
Good welfare of farmed buffalo ensures that buffalo cope well within their environment and that factors such as growth, reproductive performance, disease levels, injuries and death rates are within industry standards.
The code prescribes standards to ensure that farmed buffalo have:
- water, food and air to maintain good health
- social contact with other buffalo
- sufficient space to stand, walk freely, lie down, escape aggressors, stretch and groom
- protection from predation
- protection from disease
- protection from the adverse effects of extremes of climate or unseasonal changes in weather conditions
- protection from unnecessary, unreasonable or unjustified pain, suffering and injury.